China Visa News Center


Focus on the New Foreigner Entry-Exit Administration Regulations of China

Ordinary visas are divided into 12 categories, instead of former 8 categories. They are marked with the letters C (crew visa), D (permanent residence visa), F (for persons engaged in exchanges, visits, inspections), G (transit visa), J (journalist visa), L (tourist visa), M (business visa), Q (Chinese family reunion), R (for high-level talents), S (foreign family visit), X (student visa), Z (work visa).
J, Q, S, X respectively have two subcategories, e.g. J1, J2, X1, X2.
X1 will be issued to persons for long-term study. X2 will be issued to persons for short-term study. The same is true with J, Q and S visas.

If foreigners seek to change their stay purpose, they can apply for replacement visas in accordance with national regulations.

It takes less than 7 working days to extend visas.

During the period that PSB deal with the visas, foreigners can rely on the acceptance notice to legally stay in China.

The extension of the visa stay period by PSB is only effective for this entry into China. It does not affect the number of authorized entries or duration of each stay. Extension of the visa stay period will not exceed the stay period granted on visa. It is a big improvement as before when you extended your visa, your current visa would be cancelled at the same time, whatever how many entries left.


Residence permits are divided into 5 categories. Residence permits for work, residence permits for study, residence permits for journalists, residence permits for Chinese family reunion, residence permits for foreign family visit.

Foreigners shall apply for residence permits at PSB, by providing necessary documents and biometrics information.
Health certificates are required when applying for over 1 year residence permits. The health certificates are valid for 6 months.
PSB shall issue the acceptance notice, with a validity period of no more than 15 days. During the period they decide whether to issue the residence permit or not.

A foreigner doesn't need to show up at PSB in the following cases.
A foreigner who is under 16 years old, above 60 years old or disabled don't need to show up.
A foreigner who is not the first time entering China with a good residence record can do without being interviewed.
The invitation unit has guaranteed the expenses of the foreigner's stay in China

A foreigner with a residence permit for study who wants to take a part-time job or internship shall get approval from the school. Then turn to PSB to add a notation to the residence permit, stating the location and period of the part-time job or internship.

The employing company and the sponsoring school have the duties to report the following circumstances to PSB promptly.

The employment ends or work location changes;
The student graduates, finishes a course, drops out or leaves the school;
The employee or the student violates the entry-exit regulations
The employee or the student dies or is missing.

The duration of stay is calculated from the next day of entry. And it ends up at 24:00 of Beijing time.

The regulation will be effective on Sep. 1, 2013. The corresponding former rules published in 1986 will be abolished at the same time.


Copyright ©2005-2020 Beijing Leeo Consulting Service Co., Ltd. All rights reserved.

Tel:0086-10-6592 4496 Mobile: 136 4117 2117  姥宛催:奨ICP姥07007506催