Focus on the
New Chinese Immigration Law
* Fingerprint records
can be required when applying for residence permits (for work,
study or visiting relative), though at the moment it is not
carried out in Beijing.
* It takes up to 15 working days to issue the residence permits,
longer than before.
* Certificate of no criminal record is required when applying
for China residence permit for work in Beijing.
* If some information changed on the residence permit, the
foreigner should change the record at the Public Security
Bureau within 10 days.
* Foreigners should register within 24 hours after staying
at an apartment or a hotel. Before in rural areas, you can
register within 72 hours.
* New-born foreign babies should get stay permits within 2
months at the local Public Security Bureau. Birth certificates
are required to do so.
* Foreigners must get valid China work visas if they want
to work in China mainland. Foreign students should not work
full-time. There will be some part-time work regulations particularly
designed for foreign students.
* If the foreigner overstays the visa, the penalty is 500
RMB / day. It can be 10,000 RMB maximum. Before it was up
to 5000 RMB.